We do not cast full equity or ACTRA members.)
by Paul Slade Smith
Show dates: April 26 to May 18, 2019
Director: Katherine Bignell-Jones
Producer: Julie Rush
AUDITIONS will be held at the Village Playhouse, 2190E Bloor St. West (around the corner from Runnymede subway station) at the following dates and times:
- Saturday, January 26, 2019: 10 to 5:00 pm
- Sunday, January 27, 2019: 5:00 pm to 10:00pm
- Callbacks (if necessary) will be on Tuesday, January 29, 2019: 8:00pm
REHEARSALS: Will be held at the Village Playhouse. We will start full rehearsals in early February. Rehearsals will be Tuesdays and Thursdays 7-10 pm, and Sundays 1-5 pm. Tech Weekend is split between Sunday April 14th and every night of tech week beginning Monday, April 22.
PLAY SYNOPSIS: In an economy motel room, an embezzling mayor is supposed to meet with his female accountant. In the room next door, two undercover cops are supposed to catch the meeting on videotape. But there’s some confusion as to who’s in which room, who’s watching the video, who’s taken the money, who’s hired a hit man, and why the accountant keeps taking off her clothes.
For more about the play, click HERE.
CHARACTERS (4 men; 3 women):
* (ages given are character ages, not actor’s ages)
- Eric (Male, 30s): a cop. Bookish, even keeled guy. Is completely out of his element when called on to lie, disguise himself or to express his feelings. Must be comfortable performing in boxer shorts, undershirt and socks and be in bed with 2 other actors.
- Billie (Female, 25 to 35): Cop. Eric’s partner. Completely unthreatening and excitable. She seems to lack every skill to be a cop. Eager to succeed.
- Karen (Female, 30s): Accountant with a professional demeanor. Discovers in herself a sexual hunger that she can’t control. Actor must be comfortable performing in a bra and slip and be in bed with Eric and Frank.
- Mayor Meekly (Male, 55 to 70): Very innocent, affable fellow. Not quick on the pick-up, but a sweet, kind soul. Always enters happy. Not a camera ready politician.
- Agent Frank (Male, 25 to 45): Head of Town Hall security. Exterior is secret service agent type, but he really is afraid of his own shadow. Actor must be comfortable performing in boxer shorts, undershirt and socks and in bed with 2 other actors.
- Todd (Male 20 to 50): speaks with a heavy Scottish accent which gets thicker the angrier he gets. Cool, quiet and perceptive when at his best, but more often angry and impossible to understand. Actor must be comfortable performing in boxer shorts and undershirt, also a kilt.
- Mary Meekly (Female, 45 to 65):- Mayor’s wife. Small in stature and unfailingly sweet. She seems, in every way, the perfect match for her husband. Always camera ready.
PREPARATION: You will NOT be asked to do a monologue. Instead you will be asked to do cold readings from the script; please read the whole play before the audition. A script is available upon request from the audition coordinator and may be available at the Toronto Reference Library.
TO BOOK AN AUDITION: Please email a copy of your headshot and resume to email@example.com with your preferred date, time, interested role(s), and contact information. Please also bring a hardcopy of your resume and headshot (photocopy is fine) to your audition.
“If you get a chance to act in a room that somebody else has paid rent for, then you’re given a free chance to practice your craft.”
~ Philip Seymour Hoffman on auditioning
Take that chance – sign up to receive Village Players audition notices. You can get on our list by subscribing HERE.